What are the essential duties of the community manager or administrator?
- Develop and foster the "vision" and "flavor" of the community
- Perform off-community evangelizing to bring in new members
- Set the community rules, Terms of Service, or guidelines
- Recruit and/or manage moderators
- Manage the structure of the community (add/delete forums, chat rooms, blogs, etc.)
- Be present but not intrusive within the community
What are the essential duties of the moderator?
- Role model the behavior that's expected
- Wrangle trolls
- Answer questions
- Welcome new members
- Literally "moderate," making sure controversies don't explode out of control
- Spark and foster conversation
- Uphold and defend the community "constitution" or rules
- Organize topics (if the community has agreed to this structure)
What are the essential duties of the membership?
- Follow the community code of conduct
- Engage with other members respectfully
- Communicate problems or suggestions to the moderator
- Support the community by bringing in new members
What are the essential duties of the troll?
- Cause consternation and trouble
- Register multiple aliases in an attempt to get around moderation
- Unite the community around a common enemy
- Just kidding...