News Flash - how does a member acknowledge a News Flash

Product: Hoop.la

Hi,

When I create a news flash I see

News Flash

You can display a public news flash to all of your community members. The news flash will be displayed to each signed-in community member once per visit (session), until the member acknowledges the message. You may only have one news flash at a time.

How does a member acknowledge the message. Do we consider it acknowledged when they click the X to dismiss the news flash, or is there some way to know they can click something to tell us they have read it.

Never mind - I didn't see the green bar in the preview

The behaviour is strange though - sometimes I don't see the News Flash when I sign in. It appears after I sign out.

Do you have any idea why that's happening?

Thanks,

ST

Attachments

Photos (1)
Original Post

Activity Stream

Hi ST-

Glad you figured out how someone acknowledges the news flash.

It definitely sounds off if you are seeing the news flash only after you sign out.  It's designed to be seen just one per signed-in session (until it is acknowledged by the member). 

Are you sure what you are reporting is the case, however?  We'd be happy to do some more internal testing/verification, but we have not heard of any other reports of that issue.  

Hi Ted,

Thanks for getting back to me.

It's erratic. The News Flash doesn't appear immediately after you log in (as we'd like).

I've seen it appear if I click on an Alert button, or not, but if I haven't seen it during a session, it will show up right after I choose to sign out.

I'd appreciate it if you can take a look.

https://www.bosepro.community/g/portable

Thanks,

ST

Hi Ted,

We found another way to work with our users.  I had just removed the News Flash when we lost contact with the site, ... and you.

ST

Hi ST-

I'm not quite understanding your last post, but one thing to keep in mind is that guests will see the news flash once per session as well, which would at least explain why you would see it when you sign out. If you think there is more to it than that though, please let me know. 

We've created an internal ticket though to further investigate regardless.

Hi Ted,

We did something with jQuery and CSS to put up a banner. When the visitor dismisses the banner it sets a cookie so we don't display the banner to them again.

We wanted to use the news flash, but I got preoccupied with it popping up at different times. I couldn't figure out if the news flash would be visible to all visitors - including people who do not sign in.

When we got our banner working I turned off the news flash, likely just a minute before the system outage.

I knew you might be looking for our news flash to check out what was happening.  I wanted you to know, it's not urgent for us now.

Thanks,

ST

Add Reply