Suggestions for Chat Events

Service: Hoop.la

We held our very first chat event yesterday on our Hoopla community platform and it went really well!

Previously we held chat events on Twitter and I think that still has its place in the mix. However, the functions available on Hoopla provide major advantages to me over Twitter. eg

• No pesky character limit means I'm not constantly counting letters so I can concentrate more on what I'm saying
  • Dedicated chat means what I'm saying is in one stream which makes it much easier for people to follow
  • The chat is archived and not lost, which means people who couldn't make it can read it later and I can refer back to it to create eg a blog based on what was discussed.

However, there are some things I would like to do that either I haven't yet learnt how to do (so apologies if you can do these and I just didn't see how) or functions that would be great to add to make this feature even more powerful.

1. I'd like to be able to delete posted messages as the moderator - sometimes I accidentally pressed publish and I'd like to weed out the garbage
  2. This is the biggie for me. I'd like to be able to archive the chat event on the Forum page. What I mean is that it's fine to have all the archived chats together in one place. However, when the chat is over, I'd like people to be able to come and read it on the appropriate Forum and then continue the discussion in the Forum. In this scenario the chat is live talk and the Forum provides continuing discussion on the topic. Since I'm dealing with a community spread over all world time zones the ability to be able to comment on the chat is really important for my members who couldn't make it. I think you have all the technical functions needed: this is just the ability to tag the finished chat as an item that can appear in a Forum or can be put in other collections.
  3. I would like to be able to set up private practice sessions on the Chat Event. I didn't know what to expect and we would have liked to have had a bit of training before going live with the event. I'm going to have new guests I need to train up on Chat Events, so the ability to just have a 5 min practice dummy run would be great.
  4. Posting to Twitter. A bit of a more far out wish list is that you could add the functions we currently have on LI which is if we post we can tick a box to also tweet out. This means that eg the moderator could tweet out selected jewels of wisdom while the chat was going on. Integrating these two would be fab.
  5. Customise the ending. Is there a way of customising the ending and setting this up before the chat? Rather than just "this event has ended", couldn't I change that to "Thanks for coming blah blah, continue the discussion on blah blah, next event blah blah". That would be cool.

Those are just a few things that I think would really push the whole thing forward. I realise some are easier to do that others, but thought I'd flag them up for you to consider. The main thing around chat is to start a conversation about something, and the ability to keep it going in Forums (seamlessly) is a major advantage over other platforms. Currently we chat on Twitter and then have to move to LI to do that. What you have here is the potential to provide both on a single platform and then also integrate the ability to post to Twitter - very, very powerful.

The other hint is about how we behave currently also. We tend to have skype open when chatting so moderators can message each other during the chat privately. I know IM functionality has been suggested, but integration with Skype may be an alternative as that also adds voice functions as well as IM. Most of us are avid Skype users anyway, so it's a path of least resistance too.

The first chat event went really well and our community is buzzing about the possibilities we are now supporting - even though we're still effectively in beta!

Thanks for that and hope you find these ideas interesting

Teresa

Original Post

Activity Stream

Hi Teresa-

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.  Some responses for you:

I'd like to be able to delete posted messages as the moderator - sometimes I accidentally pressed publish and I'd like to weed out the garbage

We already have plans to support this in the future.  

This is the biggie for me. I'd like to be able to archive the chat event on the Forum page. What I mean is that it's fine to have all the archived chats together in one place. However, when the chat is over, I'd like people to be able to come and read it on the appropriate Forum and then continue the discussion in the Forum. In this scenario the chat is live talk and the Forum provides continuing discussion on the topic. Since I'm dealing with a community spread over all world time zones the ability to be able to comment on the chat is really important for my members who couldn't make it. I think you have all the technical functions needed: this is just the ability to tag the finished chat as an item that can appear in a Forum or can be put in other collections.

Well, I don't see us adding a way to archive a chat event in a forum.  Chats are not part of forums and we have no plans to make them part of forums, which seems to be what you are requesting here.  

I think a far simpler thing for you to do for that use case is to create a forum topic after you do each chat event that references that chat.  In fact, you could create the topic prior to the chat event closing and provide a link to the topic near the end of the chat so anyone reading the archived transcript of the chat event can click the link to go to the related topic.

Another possible alternative though would be for us to support comments on closed chat events.  I'd suggest that you create a separate suggestion though if that is important to you so that others can "vote up" the idea.

I would like to be able to set up private practice sessions on the Chat Event. I didn't know what to expect and we would have liked to have had a bit of training before going live with the event. I'm going to have new guests I need to train up on Chat Events, so the ability to just have a 5 min practice dummy run would be great.

You are asking for the ability to set access permissions per chat event, which is not supported currently.  Again, I would create a separate suggestion if that is important for you.  That said, if your primary use case is just testing/training, there may be a plan option available soon that will likely solve that problem for you. Can't say any more right now though.

Posting to Twitter. A bit of a more far out wish list is that you could add the functions we currently have on LI which is if we post we can tick a box to also tweet out. This means that eg the moderator could tweet out selected jewels of wisdom while the chat was going on. Integrating these two would be fab.

Note that we already one related idea in our development queue-- pulling Tweets into a chat. See: https://community.hoop.la/s...t/292337285843720456

Your idea is the reverse, of course... to push chat content out to Twitter, but the concept is more or less the same and we can consider push as well when we add support for pulling.

Customise the ending. Is there a way of customising the ending and setting this up before the chat? Rather than just "this event has ended", couldn't I change that to "Thanks for coming blah blah, continue the discussion on blah blah, next event blah blah". That would be cool.

Again, I would suggest you create a unique suggestion for this idea so that others can more easily find it and vote it up.  Not trying to create more work for you, but when you have lots of suggestions in one post like you do here,  it's tough for our community of users to single out the things they also want added, which means that our ability to see demand is diluted.

As a side note, we plan to support open-ended chat rooms in the future as well.  Not sure if you care about that option, but thought you should know.

Again, thank you for all of the feedback (and keep it coming)!

Add Reply